/story/30780/trailing-turquoise/toc
Trailing Turquoise | Penana
arrow_back
Trailing Turquoise
more_vert share bookmark_border
info_outline
format_color_text
toc
exposure_plus_1
Search stories, writers or societies
Continue ReadingClear All
What Others Are ReadingRefresh
X
PG-13
Trailing Turquoise
CJ Gem
Intro Table of Contents Top sponsors Comments (8)

When you don’t know what you are… it’s easy to believe you’re a monster.

Elona has lived a quiet and solitary life, earning her way as a hunter deep in the woods. She keeps to herself. She’s always had to, as far back as her memory might go. If she ever knew her parents, she doesn’t remember them. The only clue she has to her heritage is the scales that grow over her skin when she touches water. That, and the startled screams of the few who’ve seen it. Posing as a human, Elona avoids water and anyone who might find out her secret. It’s safer that way.

Just because you’re born in one role, doesn’t mean another can’t suit you better.

Sionn is a fox. A real one, actually. Bushy tail and whiskers and all. He’s never been very good at it, though. As far back as their tales go, Sionn’s family has been able to shift between two forms. Their fox forms, the ones they actually are, and a humanoid form that mimics that of a fox Animalkith. One day, Sionn decides if he’s such a terrible fox, maybe he’d make a better foxkith. Even if it means leaving behind the forest and family that are all he’s ever known, and adjusting to human society. 

Life has a funny way of making you need the last thing you ever wanted.

Sionn runs into Elona and enmeshes himself into her life, leaving her torn. His friendship, offered so freely and joyously, is all the things she’s never let herself long for. She can’t accept his friendship if she’s a monster. She can’t put him at risk by ignoring that and staying by his side anyway. Is their friendship, their happiness, worth finding answers to questions she’s always been afraid to ask?

Show Comments
BOOKMARK
Total Reading Time: 2 hours 24 minutes
toc Table of Contents
bookmark_border Bookmark Start Reading >
×


Reset to default

X
×
×

Install this webapp for easier offline reading: tap and then Add to home screen.